Anyone can get the flu, which spreads simply when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Flu can cause gentle to severe symptoms and might generally result in death.
How lengthy do flu signs last?
The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, DARPA and the David and Lucile Packard Foundation. In 2018, the NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases announced a strategic plan to develop a common flu vaccine. The researchers hope that their findings could assist predict which age groups might be severely affected throughout future flu seasons primarily based on the subtype circulating.
- H5N1 may mutate or reassort right into a strain able to environment friendly human-to-human transmission.
- This implies that youngsters younger than 18 are more than twice as likely to develop a symptomatic flu infection than adults sixty five and older.
- Depending on the extent of well being an individual has earlier than contracting influenza, these symptoms also have the potential to cause complications that may result in death.
- Make positive to cover your mouth when coughing and don’t share drinking gadgets.
- Influenza, also known as the flu, is a contagious respiratory disease attributable to different strains of viruses.
That’s a good thing, since up to 20% of the inhabitants falls ill with the flu each year, based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Peak flu season is December through February, however some years it can final until May. Certain individuals are more in danger for flu issues, together with the aged, the very younger, and anyone with asthma, lung illness, or different chronic conditions. If you test constructive for the flu virus, your doctor can prescribe antiviral medicine to scale back signs and assist your physique battle the infection.
That data may also help well being officers prepare their response, together with selections about who ought to receive certain vaccines which might be only available in limited quantities. The two sources they cite for this figure do not provide much support.
Year-Old Indiana Girl Dies After Being Diagnosed With Flu, Scarlet Fever and Strep Throat
But additionally an infection with influenza makes an individual extra vulnerable to bacterial pneumonia. That’s due to what Dr. Laluz, calls “the antigenic shift.” Different strains of the flu virus mix to form a brand new one. Meaning, annually the flu virus—and flu vaccine—is slightly completely different. People may really feel so drained that daily actions turn into a challenge. Body aches and chills are common signs because the flu sets in, together with a persistent cough and sore throat.